Hancock and Hannah

Today marks the fourth week that Hancock and Hannah have been here.  Already, I can’t imagine life without them.  They are settling in and developing their own routine.  Mornings after going outside they come in, play for a while, and settle into their morning naps.  Around lunch time, they begin to stir and explore the house after going out again.  The afternoon brings another nap waking up only for dinner which is gobbled down at the speed of light and more play before settling down for the evening.  Near bedtime, they have to wake up and stir around before going out for the last time.  Sometimes, that is easier said than done.  Hancock, particularly, has a hard time waking up for that last night activity. 

They aren’t particularly thrilled with me right now retreating to their kennel and staying there since it is their safe place.  This past week after their visit to the vet, they were started on a routine of different drugs.  Hancock receives artificial tears two or three times a day and a dose of prescribed artificial tears ointment each night.  Hannah on the other hand gets ear medication twice a day.  With their dinner, they both get benadryl for their respective allergies.  Now, in preparation for their surgery, they each get a dose of amoxicillin twice a day orally.  It is so much fun since they are not loving the medicine.  I am supposed to be wiping Hancock’s feet each time he goes outside but we haven’t worked on that yet since he assiduously avoids the grass.  Finally, the vet says that after their surgery they will come home with pain medication.  It is no wonder they sleep so much with all those medications in them.

Anyway, I am in the process of setting up a medicine station in the kitchen since I don’t want them to associate my chair in the family room with bad memories of being medicated.  That is where they are loved on and never the twain shall meet.  Within a couple of weeks, the amoxicillen, pain meds, and ear drops will be finished and, hopefully, we can do the benedryl every other day until the weather warms up.  They have also been to the groomer and that was money well spent since they are more comfortable and look a lot better.  No hair growing in their ears or between their nails not to mention the fact that I can finally see their eyes. 

This is the way things are right now but this too will change.  Their treatments will for the most part ease up and, hopefully, their true personalities will develop.   Who knows what the future will bring for them?  The plan is that it will be better and all the effort will make them healthy so they can feel good.

This entry was posted in Shelter Dogs. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Hancock and Hannah

  1. Leo says:

    It sounds like a lot of work right now, but I know the reward will be great so it is worth it. I am glad to know that you are enjoying Hannah and Hancock.

  2. cwurschmidt says:

    I really am. Just today for about the second time they played together and for the first time actually ran around. I couldn't believe it. It was great.

Comments are closed.