On the Other Hand

Confession is good for the soul or so the old saying goes which was probably perpetuated by Catholics and Christians everywhere.  So, here goes.  I’m left-handed.  For the most part, being left-handed is no different from being right-handed except when you’re trying to use tools made for those of the other persuasion, i.e., right-handed.  In my family, only my uncle and I were left-handed which made us the “oddballs” but gave us both an undeniable link with each other.

My house is set up for my convenience, thus, everything is easily reached with my left hand.  While visiting once, my mother admitted, “I had the hardest time in your kitchen with everything so backwards.”  I just grinned in appreciation for her difficulty in getting things done.  I had had the same problem all my life everywhere I had gone.  There is an exception.  On a trip to Ireland, I was the designated driver since the driver’s seat was on the right and the gear shift to my left and there is always the fun of driving on the left side of the road.  I have never felt more at home.  It was such a joy to tootle around driving the correct way.  I still smile when I think about it.

Now, it may be that my oldest granddaughter is a lefty.  I am thrilled to say the least and can’t wait for the final verdict.  It is said that a left-handed person has a twenty-four percent chance of having a child who prefers using their left hand.  Hah!  My husband and I were both left-handed and all three of our children aren’t.  So much for chances.  My daughter says that I taught her to tie her shoes left-handed.  I say I didn’t know there was a difference.  If I could tell my daughter-in-law one thing, it would be to teach the little one how to tie her shoes while sitting across from her.

Way back before I was born, popular thought was that left-handedness was an affliction that could be corrected by forcing a child to use their right.  This was done in schools when a child started learning to write.  Now, it is more of a laissez-faire attitude of what will be, will be.  To my granddaughter, I say welcome to the world where everyone else does things backward and you are the right one.

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to On the Other Hand

1. Doris says:

I remember teaching you to knit by having you watch my hands in a mirror. It worked!
    And thank you again for doing the driving in Ireland. When I tried it I had no trouble with the controls, I just had trouble remembering to keep to the left side of the road. All my instincts pulled me to the right.

2. Leo says:

I do not think there is waiting for the verdict. She colors, draws, writes, etc. left-handed. I think Chele, Becs, and I will have to work a little harder to help her learn things left-handed with two right-handed parents. That will be additional fun and excitement for us and for her.

Alicia should have nothing to complain about. With teaching Alicia how to tie her shoes left-handed, you were doing your part to make her ambidextrous. 🙂

3. Michele says:

We need to ask you how to teach her things left-handed! We will naturally try to teach her the “right”handed way automatically and will have to train ourselves to stop and think the opposite. I like the mirror idea, Doris. I will need to file that away to use later. I’ve often felt I had a left-handed measuring cup as I have to hold it with my left hand to read the numbers correctly. Hmm…maybe my subconscious bought it knowing I would someday have a left-handed daughter! :o)

4. darlene Fahey says:

There are two very special people in my life that are left-handed– my Father and my dear friend Carol. I do remember being taught that as an elementary teacher I would have to force children who were left-handed to learn P O Patterson writing course with their right hand. I refused as a student teacher and was chastised by my teacher. She also was the one that made my decision to join the Corps. And I was very happy that you drove the car in Ireland for most of the trip!!!

5. Alicia says:

I think it’s great that at 31 years if age I learned that I tie my shoe like a lefty! Ambidextrous I am not!!! About 6 months ago I thought to myself, what if I didn’t have my right hand and tried doing things with my left. After two rounds of toothbrushing I gave up!!! It was miserable. It’s funny what you learn to do with each hand!! I feel you Michele, my measuring cup is for left handed people or Europeans. I haven’t figured out which yet! Don’t be fooled Doris and Darlene. My mom loved driving in Ireland!!! She’s never been so happy!!

6. Allen Payne says:

Oh Yeah! I broke my right wrist (rollerblading with my teenage daughter) and had a cleaning business. My left hand kept saying, “I’m going to do what?!” It did teach me to use my knee to hold up the mattress while changing sheets on a bed, though, which I do to this day. Hanging clothes and grooming the dogs was a real challenge and “nobody” in the family ever offered to help me with anything. I remember having a good cry out at the clothesline over how un-loved and un-appreciated I was. I was so exited when the cast came off to have my hand back only to watch it drop helplessly weak after 5 weeks in a cast. Took a few more weeks to get back to par.

My mom was a victim of the Catholic school nuns who forced her to use her right hand with a ruler slap.

Comments are closed.